Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can't Get Work Laptop to connect to Rogers internet?

Hi folks, can you help me out by suggesting some specific things (with details) that I can try?



Since I moved into my condo I can not get my work laptop to connect to my Rogers internet. My desktop computer is fine, but if I disconnect the cable from my desktop and connect it to my laptop I get the ''no connection'' message. Any idea why?



I have tried to ''repair the internet connection'' but that has not made any difference.



Have any of you run into this? What did you do to correct the situation?



I have spoken at length with my support group and they could not figure it out, so now I am asking you as my support group is in Mumbai and some of you may have run into this issue in Toronto like I have.



Can't Get Work Laptop to connect to Rogers internet?antispyware



I agree with the above guy on getting a router. It makes things much easier. In addition, the cable modems are typically registered with the MAC address of the main system (your desktop). Your solution now is easy. Unplug the cable from your desktop, power down the cable modem which clears the MAC address, plug the cable into your laptop and power up the cable modem. That should get your laptop on the internet. But get that router. It'll be a lot easier to manage multiple computers and you'll have the added advantage of being further protected from the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment