Friday, August 20, 2010

Connecting to my isp at a different location?

i have att dsl. i am working at my rent house doing repairs and the drive back %26 forth is killer. I could stay at the house til i am finished but i need my computer for ebay. The phone line there is not on,how can I connect to att without a phone line? Can I use a wireless router?



Connecting to my isp at a different location?free spyware remobal



DSL uses the phone line. Technically it uses the outside two wires of the four in the phone jack. The inner two are used for phone calls.



While you might be able to physically move your modem, you would need to have the phone line active for the modem to work. Ma Bell might (and probably does) register the modem to a phone number. You could test this by taking your modem to a friend's house, hooking it to their phone line (assuming they don't have DSL) and seeing if it works. If it does, then call Bell and turn on the phone at your rental house. Often they have a low tier plan that costs $15. If the modem does not work, then forget calling bell unless you want to pay for an extra Internet line too.



A wireless router is fine, but you would either pay Sprint for theirs or you might be able to jack into a neighbor's wireless net if they have it unsecured and are nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment