Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I have a cisco 802.11g router, do I need a wi-fi card to make it work?

I get a strong signal on my remote computer so I know the router is working. When I try to open my Mozilla browser it says ''server not found, you have a firewall or proxies blocking access''. I disabled the firewal but I cant figure out how to disable the proxies.



I am not a computer expert so I called a comp. repair guy. He couldnt fix it either.........I'm very frustrated, HELP !!!



I have a cisco 802.11g router, do I need a wi-fi card to make it work?symantic



If you can actually see the signal from the wireless router on the remote computer, you don't need a card. Your computer is talking to the router. You are not getting the Internet because your connection is not set up correctly.



The best way to fix this would be to download the appropriate Network Setup Assistant from the Linksys or Cisco site. Make sure you download a version that is compatible with the model of your router.



You will need an extra Ethernet cable and you will have to either move the remote computer to the Broadband Modem, or vise versa. Which ever is more practical.



You need to start out with the computer connected directly to the modem.



Run NetSet. It explains what you need to do prompt to prompt.



At program's end, you should be able connect via the Wi-Fi.



NetSet will also generate a remote setup client and a text file of your router settings. You will need these in future to repair the network and/or to add computers to the network. Of course, you can always use this method with a stubborn machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment