Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My wireless internet isn't working, can someone help me connect again?

I just got a new Gateway laptop, and I have Windows Vista. I have a Netgear router. At first, internet worked on my laptop. I had Mcafee antivirus %26 firewall at first, but I deleted it for AVG and Comodo firewall, except that Comodo wasn't compatible (really should've checked first..) and it stopped my internet from working. I deleted it, and then my internet worked again, but only briefly. Now it doesn't work, and I have the general Windows firewall. My computer gets the signal from the router, but it won't connect to the internet. I tried diagnosing the problem %26 repairing it, but nothing works. My desktop's internet works, so I know it's not the router's fault...Can anyone help please? Thanks..



My wireless internet isn't working, can someone help me connect again?aurora



This sounds like a firewall problem - but let's check. You indicate you have a Netgear router but do not indicate if it is wired or wireless.



Open command prompt (start, run - type cmd and hit enter); at the prompt type ''ipconfig /all'' (without quotes, note all command prompt commands I enter should not be typed with the quotes as the quotes are shown in my writing only to show what should be entered) and hit enter. You should see a LAN IP address for your pc. If you have a wired connection it is wired to the router or network switch you should have an IP address for the wired link; if you have wireless you should have an IP for the wireless; if you have a wired and wireless with the wired connected you should see an IP address for both (but not the same IP address for both). The IP address should be in the format 192.168.x.y where x is usually 0 or 1, and y is usually between 2 - 254.

No comments:

Post a Comment